Crime in Public

How to Report a Crime:

It is important to know the correct way to get help or report crime if you have been a victim or have witnessed a crime.

In an Emergency

(If you’ve been mugged, badly hurt or attacked in any way or seen a serious crime)

– Call the police on 999 as soon as possible

– If on public transport use the passenger alarm or speak to the nearest member of staff

Non-Emergency Crimes or General Police Enquiries

(If you want to report a minor crime, such as your phone being stolen, your property being damaged, you suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood)

– Call the local police on 101

– For Tube and rail, you can also text what happened, where and when, to 61016

– Go to the nearest police station to report it

– Report online

Victim Support

If you’ve been the victim of a crime, victim support can offer free help and support.

– East London Victim Assessment and Referral Service: 0808 168 9291 (then dial 2) 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 5pm on Saturdays.

– East London Local Victim Care Team 0203 910 9040

– Alternatively, you can contact them via live chat – normal operating hours are from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

– For support outside of their open hours, call our Supportline for free on 08 08 16 89 111

Report Crime Anonymously

If you want to report a crime, but you do not want to be identified to the police, you can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Knife Crime

If you or someone you know is involved in a gang or carrying a weapon, you can get advice from the Metropolitan Police website here. They understand that you may not want to talk to a family member, teacher or the police so you can speak anonymously to crimestoppers or childline to get support too.


Complaint about the police?

If you have a complaint about the police you can find guidance here about how to make your complaint and what to expect.