The Death of a Child
The death of any child is tragic and can be one of the most distressing events that can happen to a parent, carer or relative. If you are reading this because you have experienced the death of a child, we would like to offer you and your family our sincere condolences at this most difficult time. There are a number of resources to support you during this difficult time and Redbridge Families Information Direct (FiND) can signpost information of bereavement services available in Redbridge. The NHS offer Talking Therapies ,which may help with any bereavement. It is a free and confidential service which can be contacted via 0300 300 1554.
Child Death Review Process
Each child death must be reviewed by the Child Death Overview Panel for the borough in which the child lives. The purpose of the child death review process is not to allocate blame, but to learn lessons. The review of your child may help prevent the death of other children and may suggest how local services for children and families can be improved. Further information can be found in the Lullaby Trust Child Death Review: A Guide for Parents and Carers.
Further Information and Support for Families
- Care for the Family – peer support for bereaved parents, including a telephone befriending service. Tel: 029 2081 0800
- Bliss – information and support for families of babies born prematurely or sick. Tel: 0808 801 0322 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Child Bereavement UK – support for families, including a director of local services. Tel: 0800 0288840
- Child Death Helpline – for anyone affected by the death of a child of any age from any cause. Tel: 0800 282 986 or 0808 800 6019
- The Compassionate Friends – peer support for bereaved parents and families Tel: 0845 123 2304
- The Lullaby Trust – support for anyone affected by the sudden death of a baby or young child. E-mail: email@example.com Tel: 0808 802 6868
- Sands – for anyone who has been affected by the death of a young baby either through stillbirth or neonatal death. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0808 164 3332
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide – support for people over 18 who have been bereaved by suicide. Tel: 0300 111 5065
- TAMBA – support for anyone affected by the death of a multiple e.g. twin. E-mail: email@example.com Tel: 0800138 0509
- Winston’s Wish – supporting children and young people after the death of a parent or sibling. Tel: 08088 020 021
There are also a number of useful organisations who hold information about the many smaller, specialised and local organisations available for bereaved families.